Friday, January 28, 2011

Live from Buduburam #2

Live from Buduburam Refugee Camp in Ghana, West Africa

I have been here two weeks now and am settling into daily routines. I arise at 7am to have my bucket shower, eat my oatmeal and fried plantain. I also have my quiet time writing in my journal and at 8:30am I begin to walk to the office. It's about a 20 minute walk through the camp and there is a fair amount of activity as vendors sell cassavas, oranges, dried fish, African cloth, rice, and much more.

On Mondays and Thursdays I counsel the women in private; I have heard 75 personal stories. These days are the most exhausting, but also the most rewarding. The counseling space is small, stuffy and hot but still connections happen here; we share stories, we laugh, we hug, we cry, and we sit quietly.  

On Tuesday's we fast and pray as a group and then I conduct reiki healing sessions. The women for the most part are very open and receptive. Wed. and Fri. are for visiting schools, meeting with women at their business locations, sitting in on our sewing classes, teaching at the Adult Literacy Program, seeing members in their homes, conducting staff meetings, and working on the new guest house for volunteers.

Joven is off traveling in northern Ghana. We have cell phones so we talk several times a day. He will be visiting me soon at the camp! And tomorrow is his birthday!  He has been on lots of buses and his most recent adventure was visiting an animal watering hole with lots of elephants and antelope. I am excited to see him soon.

Vermont Trust Funds for Women Empowerment is a program of One Step One World.  We are a 501C3 so any donation that you give will be tax deductible. There is a paypal link here for you convenience but if you prefer a check can be made to One Step One World, c/o Sally Black at PO Box 983, Montpelier, VT  05601.

The women of Buduburam Camp and I thank you,

Sally

1 comment:

  1. Sally, and Joven,
    I had no idea you were in Africa doing such incredible work. I am humbled by your efforts and actions.
    Billie Lynn

    ReplyDelete